Re: open() giving ENOENT when trying to create files with control chars

On Dec  5 10:11, Bill Hughes wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>

> > On Dec  4 09:29, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> ..snip..
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;117258
> > > is interesting...
> >
> > This is certainly interesting.  Using this in Cygwin would require to
> > change the path handling to using UNICODE, though, which is a major
> > undertaking since the path handling throughout Cygwin is plain ASCII
> > right now.
>
> Uh, don't forget this is the NTFS API and not the Windows API.
> If you want to go down this route you may as well add case sensitive file names
> too...

That's not quite right.  Case-sensitivity is a flag which can be
switched on and off at will.  It's a property of the driver, not the
underlying file system.  The underlying file system is obviously capable
of storing case-sensitive filenames, the driver just handles characters
only differing by case as equal in the default Windows case.  The above
is converting invalid characters to valid characters.  These new
characters are still valid characters even when you're working in a
plain ASCII (or ISO-8859) environment, since NTFS stores the filenames
in UNICODE anyway.

I'm not sure until I tried it, of course, but I don't think this will
result in problems with Windows, just because your standard font can't
display the characters.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.