Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

Debbie Tropiano wrote:
Larry -

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:15:38PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:

It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."

I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this difficulty. ...

Thanks.  I was afraid of that, but it was all the information that I was
given and then the system was re-installed (without Cygwin).  I'll see
if I can figure out more about what happens with the installs when I have
time, but I'm not optimistic about it (I'm a *nix sysadmin and am trying
to understand Windows but don't have much time to spend doing so).

Understood.  From what you described, there wasn't anything obviously
wrong with the install process used.  There's a chance that the installation
media itself is bad somehow, though I do think it's pretty remote that it
would cause the problems reported.  In any case, I think you can gather
from this that the reported results are not the expected ones from an
ordinary Cygwin (off-line) install.  If you find it is reproducible somehow,
then we're certainly interested in the details.

Good luck. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746