Re: Cygwin install changing permissions

On 11/28/2005, Debbie Tropiano wrote:
It was reported to me that "If you install Windows XP svc pack 2 and then install Cygwin, it will lock out permissions to the Administrator on many of the critical file folders. We did not receive an uninstall executable to undo the damage, so all we can do is reinstall the OS from scratch and reconfigure all the settings on the PCs."

I think it's fair to say that this problem report lacks enough specificity to speculate with much certainty as to why someone would encounter this difficulty. It would at least be helpful to know what the person reporting this problem means by "lock out permissions to the Administrator on many of the critical file folders." Since an installation of Cygwin only operates on folders created during the installation, it's hard to imagine how it could cause the problems reported. Of course, the devil is in the details so it's best to start with those. The setup.log* files may prove to be instructive and certainly the cygcheck output as specified by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would be helpful.

Holliston, MA 01746