Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

--- Brett <blb-2@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I am having a similar problem and so far have no
> solution.
> But my circumstances are slightly different and
> might
> suggest, if the underlying problem is the same, that
> the
> problem resides in another direction.
>
> I am running Windows 2000 Professional and Norton
> AntiVirus
> 2003 Professional.  I am connected to the internet
> and was
> running a Cygwin upgrade directly from the Cygwin
> site last
> night.  The install keeps freezing and the log
> indicates a
> problem with "McShield".  Specifically, "Could not
> open
> service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee
> may not
> be installed, or we don't have access.".  I do not
> believe
> McAfee has every been on this box.  I tried

Apparently, this is not a problem. Larry Hall replied
one of my earlier problems -- not being able to
install
Cygwin at all, which seems to be your case -- saying
this
was normal. I quote him below:

   These messages are no problem.  Setup checks for
McAfee
   because it is known to cause setup problems.  As
the
   message notes, "McAfee may not be installed,...",
which
   is true in your case.

> dissabling both
> "Auto-Protect" and "Script Blocking" in Norton
> without luck.
>
> If our problems are the same, this is not a network
> issues.
> I should note that I did a complete from-scratch
> install of
> Cygwin on my brother's Windows XP box last night
> without any
> problem.  I am not certain of his anti-virus
> protection and
> he is back on the road headed home this morning so I
> can't
> ask.
>
> Hope this is helpful and that someone has an idea.

I have to try one more thing -- turn of Norton and
unplug the cable. But there is something very fishy
going one. When I tried to launch Cygwin a few minutes
ago, Norton popped up a message saying
'hostname.exe is trying to contact DNS server'.

Would anyone have an idea why a DNS sever is being
contacted? It *appears* that my set up is behaving
not only as a network set up, but the the
modem/Norton combination is coming into play. I do
not know what the modem is -- it was installed by
Roadrunner and has no name on it!

As my machine is very much an "out of the box,
plain XP" from Dell, I would guess that this should
not be an unusual case. But, maybe it is not .... :-)

thanks
sj