Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS?

surendar jeyadev <jeyadev3 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> <snip>
>
> But, I need to be
> completely exposed. Even if I turn on NIS after the
> shell
> initialises, it freezes and does not unfreeze.
>
> So, my questions:
>
> 1. What are the recommended settings for Norton?
> 2. Why is a connection to the Internet needed at all?
>    Should I not be able to work as a stand alone
> machine?
>    It appears that Cygwin is attempting to contact a
>    server.
> 3. Are there shell/environmental variables that I have
>    set to make it work as a stand alone installation?
>
> <snip>

I am having a similar problem and so far have no solution.
But my circumstances are slightly different and might
suggest, if the underlying problem is the same, that the
problem resides in another direction.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional and Norton AntiVirus
2003 Professional.  I am connected to the internet and was
running a Cygwin upgrade directly from the Cygwin site last
night.  The install keeps freezing and the log indicates a
problem with "McShield".  Specifically, "Could not open
service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not
be installed, or we don't have access.".  I do not believe
McAfee has every been on this box.  I tried dissabling both
"Auto-Protect" and "Script Blocking" in Norton without luck.

If our problems are the same, this is not a network issues.
I should note that I did a complete from-scratch install of
Cygwin on my brother's Windows XP box last night without any
problem.  I am not certain of his anti-virus protection and
he is back on the road headed home this morning so I can't
ask.

Hope this is helpful and that someone has an idea.

Happy Holidays,
Brett