Re: Installation Fails (Hangs?) on plain vanilla XP Machine

surendar jeyadev wrote:

I am trying to install Cygwin on a standard Windows XP set up. When I run 'setup.exe', it hangs at the point where is starts to download the 'mirrors.lst' file. The is no activity in the progress bar and I noted no disk or net activity for 30 min. Retried 3 times to no avail. The log file is included below.

Can you reach <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst> from your
browser?  Are you using an FTP mirror?  If so, try an
HTTP mirror instead.  Or try:

<http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/setup-2.513-alpha.exe>

A couple of questions. What are McShield and McAfee
doing here?
I run Norton Internet Security. Could that be the
problem? But,
turning off the firewall did nothing to help.

These messages are no problem.  Setup checks for McAfee
because it is known to cause setup problems.  As the
message notes, "McAfee may not be installed,...", which
is true in your case.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746