Re: /dev/console : permission denied

Chris:

Thanks for the tip about 'cygcheck -s -v -r' however, msvcrt.dll is reporting a problem while attempting to execute 'cygcheck -s'.

Windows Event log shows:

----- snip -------------------------------------------------------------
Faulting application cygcheck.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.2180, fault address 0x0002f463.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
----- snip -------------------------------------------------------------

It also offers a diagnostic file, which I have attached.

Maybe I have a more severe issue with my installation...???

Again, I appreciate any insight...

Christopher McIntosh

Chris Taylor wrote:
Christopher McIntosh wrote:

Chris:

Thanks for your prompt response! Sorry for the lack of details... I've been running cygwin for about 5 years now and love it! However, I only recently began using syslogd (and therefore had not noticed the issue before).

Running on WinXP Pro/SP2.

'cygcheck -c cygwin' reports 1.5.18-1 (STATUS OK)

Specifically, 'cygcheck -c' reports OK for all 212 packages(?) which I have installed.

Performing 'ls -l /dev/console' reports:

crw-rw-rw- Chris PowerUsers 5, 1 Nov 24 05:54 /dev/console

So this seems good. This is a stand-alone laptop (not a domain client).

I also attached my messages file, in case there is something useful there that hasn't caught my attention.

Thanks, again!
Chris

Yeah, that looks fine.. Standard procedure is to attach the output of cygcheck -s -v -r though.. That said, I've just checked mine and I'm still getting this message.. As well as all messages being duplicated now.. Joy.. No idea why offhand.

Will investigate more later, but hopefully someone will come up with
something..
It doesn't seem to be anything to worry about though.

Chris