Re: Cygwin fork failure

svoboda@cs.cmu.edu wrote:
On Saturday 19 November 2005 01:07 am, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

David Svoboda wrote:

I have built a C++ server program called 'analyzer'. But when I try to
run it, it fails upon trying to execute a 'fork' command. Why?

<snip>

If running 'rebaseall' doesn't help (see the README) and 'analyzer' doesn't use any DLLs that were built as part of that package (in which case you need to tell 'rebaseall' about them), then try:

<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2005-09/msg00945.html>

Thanks for the response. The 'analyzer' program is statically linked; it involves no DLLs. Rebaseall did nothing. And increasing the size of the heaps did nothing (I tried 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x). My machine is totally wedged now...even safe mode doesn't work.

I can only say that this fork problem happens on several other Windows machines at our university, but it does not seem to happen to machines not at the university. Furthermore this fork problem now affects previous versions of my 'analyzer' software...last week's version worked then, but does not now. It's as if Satan put a curse on all the PCs only at this university.

Any other suggestions?

Trying a snapshot it a good subsequent step. If you're going to be building
things against Cygwin, you'll want to pull the cygwin-inst. Otherwise, cygwin1-*.dll is enough and is probably plenty for starters.

<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746