php5 on cygwin

Hello,

I had a brief communication with Tod on this mailing of his -

I managed to compile Apache 1.3.34 and php 5.1 RC4 on cygwin and Tod suggested that I post it to the list for reference.

Here are the steps -

1. Get latest cygwin and the following packages -

bison, cvs, flex, gcc, gd, grep, keychain, libtool1.5, libxml, libxml2, libxml2-devel, make, openssh, perl, readline, rsync, unzip, vim, whois, zip

These are all packages I have and use. Some of them I had to install because Apache or php needed them, but I did not keep track which were for what. You can experiment by removing some that seem unneeded and see where it will stop working.

For sure you will need bison, flex, gcc, some of the libxml packages, make and readline.

2. Unzip the Apache source

In the Apache source directory type -

./configure

And press Enter.

3. Unzip the php source

In the php source directory type -

./configure --with-apache=[PATH TO APACHE SOURCE DIRECTORY FROM POINT 1.] --with-pgsql

I use PostgreSQL so I quote it literally. Perhaps it would work with another database too and perhaps it will work without. Note that I did a default compile of PostgreSQL 8.0.4 from sources. I am _not_ sure if you get it as cygwin package that this way it will work, as I suspect that the cygwin PostgreSQL package is not installed in the same locations as if you compile PostgreSQL from source.

4. Still in the php source directory

make
make install

./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php5/libphp5.a
make
make install

Then configure httpd.conf by adding index.php to the indexes and -

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

somewhere else.

This way of installing makes Apache to compile with php so that php is somehow embedded into Apache.

That's all. Start apache and you should have it.

If somebody has questions, I'll be glad to answer.

All best,
Iv