Re: WINE on Cygwin

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:20:57PM -0500, Eliah Kagan wrote:

>>>This still sounds fairly pointless.  the tools from sysinternals.com
>>>allow you to monitor all file and registry access from an application.
>>>A VNC client will solve your remote operation needs.
>>>
>>>So what is the real reason for wanting to do something so perverse ?
>>
>>Because it can be done!
>>
>>VNC is slow, there is no integration with the local desktop.  You can't
>>work without interfering with the local desktop.  Using wine just to
>>redirect the graphic display is overkill but unfortunatly the most
>>promising solution.
>>
>>Separation is yet another reason.
>
>Not only is VNC slow, but VNC only lets one user log on and run
>graphical programs at a time on Windows.  It is possible to have
>multiple simultaneous Remote Desktop sessions, but only with Windows
>Terminal Server, which is expensive and pay-per-license (you need a
>license for each login "slot"), and only runs on Windows Server
>operating systems, which are also expensive.  It would be very, very
>nice to be able to run graphical Windows programs remotely using ssh
>-X.
>
>Does anyone know if there any other way to do this, besides with Wine?
>(Perhaps something more native?)

Since we seem to have gotten pretty far afield from anything
cygwin-related (Corinna has already indicated that Cygwin doesn't do
what was originally requested) maybe it would be best to take this to
another forum.

I do have to say that this may be the first time I've ever heard anyone
indicate that they wanted to use cygwin because it gave them a speed
advantage, though...

cgf