RE: cygcheck improvements

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>   Hey, I had another idea.  It should definitely scan /etc/postinstall
>> and report any scripts that failed to complete (i.e. don't end with
>> '.done').
>
> Sigh, this would imply that (a) postinstall scripts produce valuable exit
> codes (or are run with "set -e", so that they bail out at first sign of
> trouble), and that (b) setup doesn't rename scripts that didn't complete
> normally to "*.done".  Neither is true at the moment.  PTC, of course.

  Well, only if we wanted it to be 100% infallible.  But my line of thinking
is that cygcheck could do a lot of the basic checks that we normally advise
people to do manually when they present on the list with tricky-to-diagnose
problems.  Just because postinstall scripts don't always report errors
correctly, and just because setup does sometimes rename scripts that didn't
complete, that doesn't stop us from advising people to manually browse through
/etc/postinstall looking for scripts that don't have ".done" on the end.  So
it would be just as useful and likely to save us a cycle of
message-and-response if cygcheck had already provided that information for us.

    cheers,
      DaveK