Re: Hang with 1.5.18, 1.5.19 snapshot 20051029

Hi!

Peter Rehley wrote:
I have a problem where a configure script is hanging. I first saw the behavior in 1.5.18, and it's still there in the latest snapshot. The only machines that we are seeing it hang on are windows 2000 machines, sp4, with duel pentinum 933 mhz processors, and using ssh to login to the machine. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on single processor machines or when ssh is not used.

Under 1.5.18, the hang occurred about 1 in ten times in the test_configure script (provided in the bash_test.tar.bz2 file. Under the latest snapshot it's about 1 in 900.

When the hang happens it appears that a process is completed, but still can be found in the process directory. The cmdline file says <defunct>, but the process still shows up in the process list (ps - ef). If I try to clean up by killing the process, the kill command says that the process doesn't exist. The only way that I can make the hung process go away is by using the task manager to kill the process.

Your symptoms look familiar to our OOo build hang. I'm curious if in your case a:

$ ls /proc/<hangpid>/fd

also cures the hang. (Sometimes this has to be issued several times.)

Volker

The simplest test I've gotten down to is:

### Simple Test
#! /bin/sh
# Guess values for system-dependent variables and create Makefiles.
# Generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59 for expr-configure 1.5.11-1.
#
# Report bugs to <cygwin at cygwin dot com>.
#
# Copyright (C) 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
# gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.
## --------------------- ##
## M4sh Initialization.  ##
## --------------------- ##

set -xv

count=0
while [ ! -f stop ] ; do
  as_var=LC_MONETARY
  if (test -z "`(eval $as_var=C; export $as_var; echo ho) 2>&1`"); then
    echo "hi"
    eval $as_var=C; export $as_var
  fi
  count=`expr $count + 1`
  echo $count
done
### End simple test

Someplace in the eval line the hang occurs. Unfortunately I haven't had success when using strace.

If I've missed anything or there are questions about the above, please let me know.
Peter