RE: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * Dave Korn (2005-10-26 17:48 +0100)
>> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>> * Christopher Faylor (2005-10-26 15:37 +0100)

>>> *I* didn't know about it (because I was under the impression that all
                                                                     ^^^^
>>> cygwin programs depend on the mount tables).
>>>
>>> Well, obviously there are a few that don't (mount, [...SNIP!...]
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^

>>   Let me see if I can parse those last two sentences:
>>
>>   You didn't know about using "mount" to manipulate the mount tables
>> because
>
> I did not know that I could successfully /use/ the mount program (for
> creating mount tables when no mount tables are available and
> "hklm/hkcu/cygnus solutions" doesn't exist.

  You didn't?  You _said_ that you did, when you wrote "I was under the
impression that all cygwin programs depend on the mount tables .... Well,
obviously there are a few that don't" and listed "mount" as one of them.
That's why I nominate this thread for a TITTTL award: every time you post, you
contradict something you said earlier.  Sometimes you even manage to
contradict yourself just between paragraphs within one post!

> (When you try to run a cygwin app in that situation it normally
> complains it cannot find cygwin1.dll and doesn't know where "/" is
> Is that so hard to grasp?!)

  It's only hard to grasp because it's completely incorrect.  Look at what
you're saying: you claim that the mount tables are necessary to load the
cygwin1 dll?  But the only thing that can interpret the mount table _is_ the
cygwin1 dll!  How could the windows DLL loader possibly make use of the cygwin
mount table to search for a windows DLL to load?

  (Answer:  it doesn't).

  Just to prove it:  I renamed both the HKCU and HKLM trees on my machine to
"Cygnuts Solutions" and then did this: