Re: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

* Christopher Faylor (2005-10-26 17:40 +0100)
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 05:16:56PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>>* Christopher Faylor (2005-10-26 15:37 +0100)

>>> Or, I dunno, if that works, you could just use "mount" and forget about
>>> regedit entirely.
>>>
>>> It's a crazy idea, I know.  I wonder why no one has thought of it before.
>>
>>*I* didn't know about it (because I was under the impression that all
>>cygwin programs depend on the mount tables).
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00855.html
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00863.html
>
> ...but yet you still keep going.
>
>>Well, obviously there are a few that don't (mount, cygcheck, ash (?),
>>etc.?)
>
> All cygwin programs rely on the mount table.

Then mount is obviously not a cygwin program (because it doesn't)

>>And I think it's easier to just import a reg file than dealing with
>>multiple mount commands...
>
> I assume that you'll be quite surprised, if/when we either do away with
> the registry or change the format.

Or the default mount tables, or the mount options. "Portable
Cygwin"/Cygwin on a USB stick" is a hack. But imho a clean one.

And the "mount hack" is even cleaner than the "regedit /s" hack, no
doubt.