Re: AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, gtg793x wrote:

>  Greetings
> I would like to be able to have a portable version of cygwin in my Flash
> Drive. I have been able to do it but it requires that I enter some
> registry entries such as:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
> "native"="F:\\cygwin"
> "flags"=dword:0000000a
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
> "native"="F:\\cygwin/bin"
> "flags"=dword:0000000a
>
> (as simple as double clicking a .reg file, however:)
> Many computers at my university do not allow access to the registry and
> modification of it.

See "man mount".  Please, please, please don't manipulate the registry
directly if you want to stay portable.  You can easily create a batch file
to reproduce the mounts properly.

> All I really need is the X server, and I have been able to lean it down
> to a 23 MB package that runs it (as a background process).
>
> An unfinished but working copy at: http://tinyurl.com/8pu2x
>
> * Any older versions that do not use the registry but use relative
> directories?

No.

> * Would it be possible to wrap the executable and feed it an 'alternate
> registry'?

"User mounts" is the answer.  The CURRENT_USER tree is usually writable.
Make sure you don't write over the existing settings if they are present.

> * Warning: I have (for now) minimal experience and limited resources.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/