Re: Problem: find not traversing /cygdrive/X properly?

Kevin Autrey wrote:
I tried the lastest snapshot cygwin.dll - no changes - find still failed.

So, I bit the bullet and re-installed my Cygwin installation. Same problem: I can't do a 'find' from a top-level /cygdrive/X directory (and it seems to affect ONLY 'find' when searching from the top-level /cygdrive/X mount point).

When I do a 'find' command (in bash or tcsh):

tka-16:/cygdrive/p> find /cygdrive/c -iname cdplayer.ini
find: .: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/.backupSettings: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/AUTOEXEC.BAT: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/boot.ini: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/CONFIG.SYS: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/IO.SYS: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/Log.txt: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/MSDOS.SYS: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/NTDETECT.COM: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/ntldr: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/PRIOR_SYSTEM: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/Program Files: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/RECYCLER: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/System Volume Information: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/Temp: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/tomsteady.ini: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS: No such file or directory
find: /cygdrive/c/xPos.txt: No such file or directory

If I search a specific directory from the /cygdrive/X directory, it works:

tka-16:/cygdrive/p> find /cygdrive/c/windows -iname cdplayer.ini
/cygdrive/c/windows/CDPLAYER.INI

If I do 'find' on the "C:/" directory it works:

tka-16:/cygdrive/p> find C:/ -iname cdplayer.ini
C:/WINDOWS/CDPLAYER.INI

What's interesting is that if I do a 'find' on "/cygdrive/c/.", it also works!

tka-16:/cygdrive/p> find /cygdrive/c/. -iname cdplayer.ini
/cygdrive/c/./WINDOWS/CDPLAYER.INI

Does this clarify the problem or give more clues as to what might be going on? Is anyone else having this problem?

Kevin

Well, I've just tested this myself, and the only error I get is the normal permission denied on system volume information.
I should mention that I updated my cygwin installation on Thursday or Friday last week..

There are two things I'm wondering though...
Where is this . in your PATH coming from? (it's in your cygcheck output)
Also, have you tried making the /cygdrive/X mounts binmode?
Mine show up in mount like:
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)

Might be worth testing it that way?

Chris

--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world