RE: exiting vim changes background colour of console

Hi Igor,

> > > vim (and less, since you seem to have the same problem there) use
> > > something called an "alternate screen".  This is a feature of the terminal
> > > that allows the program to make arbitrary modifications to the terminal
> > > screen that will be undone when the program switches back to the main
> > > screen.  In particular, any color changes will be undone.  Consequently,
> > > if you wish to change the color of the main screen, don't do this while
> > > running vim or less.
> > > HTH,
> >
> > I admit to being somewhat confused by your remark - I didn't change the
> > screen while running vim or less. I edited the properties of the console
> > so that it would affect all consoles with the same name, changed the PS1
> > environment variable in my .bash_profile, closed the console, re-opened
> > it, ran vim and/or less, exited vim and/or less and then found the
> > console colors changed. Have I misunderstood your point?
> >
> > Interestingly, I find that I can keep pressing ENTER and 'clear' the
> > screen back to how it was, but this is an ugly solution.
>
> What is the value of your PS1 variable?  Does it, perhaps, contain the
> code at the end that resets the background?  That was the only way I could
> reproduce the behavior you report on my machine.

My PS1 variable is:
\e[47m\n\s\v User \u on host \h in dir \w\n\d \@>\e[0;30m

bash2.05b User rbram on host cml035835 in dir /cygdrive/c/eTech/eForms2
Thu Oct 20 07:16 AM> echo $PS1
\e[47m\n\s\v User \u on host \h in dir \w\n\d \@>\e[0;30m

Rob
:)

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential information and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is free from computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be limited to resupplying the material.