RE: SETUP: In-use files have been replaced

The context of the discussion was in use files requiring
a reboot to complete the update so (obviously) I mean:

Would it be considered a bug if all CygWin services, shells,
and apps are shutdown but a reboot is still required by
Setup?

> > I had to use source to compile a module with different from default
> > options.
> >
> > How can that module be installed so that Setup will STOP trying to
> > replace it?
>
> Don't use the same location as the packaged version.

Oddly enough, I didn't do that (for accidental reasons)
and suspected that my mistake was in NOT using the download
location.

> > (...and thus not need me to uncheck the item, or ensure it is
> > unchecked, on each  run of Setup.
>
> If you replace a packaged file with one of your own, you will
> almost certainly encounter problems at some later point.  All
> package management systems work this way, which is why you
> must use the designated locations (/usr/local, /opt, etc.) or
> otherwise inform the package system of your desire (for
> example, debian/apt has
> "diversions".)  You will have the same thing happen on a
> linux system if you replace a file in /usr/lib with a
> self-compiled one.

So what is the method to teach Setup that the file
has been updated.

The versions are the same LEVEL/source, but my version
has been specially (switches/settings) make compiled.

--
Herb Martin