Re: Question about OpenGL

Thom DeCarlo wrote:

I'm wondering if there is any new development in the OpenGL libraries within cygwin. The package in the distribution says it is version 1.1, but the current OpenGL release, from Sept 2004, is v2.0. The last pre-2.0 version was 1.5.

The last comment I found in the archives was from Andre Bleau in Feb 2003. He laid out a development plan but I can't find any changes after that time. Does anyone know if anything has happened lately? I'd like to use some of the 2.0 capabilities, but it doesn't look like I can get there with cygwin.

Thom,

There never was an implementation of native OpenGL for Cygwin. All there is is a way for Cygwin programs to access the underlying implementation of OpenGL for Windows, and that implementation is stuck at version 1.1. Unless Bill Gates changes his mind about OpenGL, it will never be upgraded.

There are ways to use the features of more recent OpenGL implementations provided with graphic card drivers through the use of extensions. That's a problem that all OpenGL developpers on the Windows platform have to face, not just the ones programming for Cygwin. If you want more info about how to do that, please look at the programming forums at http://www.opengl.org/ .

The "development plan" you mentionned was about GLUT, a library often used by OpenGL programs, not about OpenGL itself.

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer
Please send any question regarding the OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com

Balayez vos courriels entrants et sortants et les pièces jointes et contribuez à éliminer les virus destructeurs susceptibles d?y être intégrés. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=fr-ca&page=features/virus Commencez dès maintenant à profiter de tous les avantages de MSN Premium et obtenez les deux premiers mois GRATUITS*.