Re: Windows update vs. cygrunsrv

Eric Blake wrote:

When running Microsoft update today, on Win2k,
the patch for Security Update for DirectX 9 for Windows
2000 (KB904706) hung during installation, with an
instance of cygrunsrv hogging 100% CPU, until I had
stopped every last one of my cygrunsrv processes.  I
don't know what the Microsoft update was trying to do
to running services during the update, but it obviously
didn't interact very well with cygrunsrv.
I don't think the Microsoft update process is compatible even with running Microsoft applications, so I make a practice of shutting cygwin down entirely. I ran the updates, including Office 2003SP2, without major incident yesterday, on Win2K, WinXP-32, and WinXP-64, total of 4 installations, with cygwin installed but shut down. It did take over an hour on the system which is on an ordinary DSL line. There were plenty of pop-ups interspersed on the XP systems, about RealPlayer needing an update but the site being down, or CA anti-virus not being in a mode acceptable to Microsoft. As you know, Microsoft is not very sympathetic to people who want to avoid down time for applications not purchased from them.