Re: please test: coreutils-5.90-2

On Oct 11 21:20, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to David Rothenberger on 10/11/2005 4:13 PM:
> > I'm having another problem with 'mkdir -p' in 5.90-2.
> >
> > I have a script that attempts to do "mkdir -p c:/dir1/dir2/dir3". This
> > started failing with a permission denied error for c:/.
>
> Hmm.  It worked perfectly for me on Win98, on both local and remote
> drives.  But on WinXP, I got different behavior for the remote FAT than I
> did for the local NTFS:
>
> $ df -T c: j:
> Filesystem    Type   1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> c:    system,fixed    29286460  20471796   8814664  70% /cygdrive/c
> j:   system,remote     6260992   4508800   1752192  73% /cygdrive/j
> $ mkdir -p j:/dir
> $ mkdir -p c:/dir
> mkdir: cannot create directory `c:': Permission denied
>
> I am suspecting a cygwin bug here.  mkdir("c:") should fail with EEXIST,
> not EACCES.  5.90 exposes this bug, where 5.3.0 did not, because the
> algorithm for mkdir -p was changed to attempt mkdir() first instead of stat().
>
> Continuing the example, I also find it odd that from WinXP, I get EBADRQC
> instead of the more familiar ENOENT when removing a nonexistant directory
> on a remote FAT drive:

The error codes returned from a remote FAT filesystem on a 9x based
host are for some reason entirely different than the error codes you'd
expect from other experiences.

In both of the above cases, it would be helpful to run mkdir under
strace and search for the Win32 error number, usually in a line with
`geterrno_from_win_error' in it.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.