Re: cygstart regression [Was: Re: on the road to 1.5.19 - snapshot testing needed]

On 10/2/05, Michael Schaap wrote:
> To be able to check whether something has changed in the path handling,
> I've uploaded a version of cygstart that prints out the exact
> ShellExecute call it is making, at
> <http://www.mscha.org/cygstart_dbg.zip>.  Could you perhaps download
> that, try it out both with a snapshot and 1.5.18, and let us know
> whether it prints out something different?

With 20050930 snapshot, running 'cygstart_dbg empty.mdb':

ShellExecute(
    "(null)",
    "(null)",
    "empty.mdb",
    "(null)",
    "(null)",
    1
);

With 1.5.18, the same command:

ShellExecute(
    "(null)",
    "(null)",
    "empty.mdb",
    "(null)",
    "(null)",
    1
);

They look pretty similar to me.

> If that's not it, then I don't know what it could be.  Must have
> something to do with timing, or the exact memory location, or something
> like that, especially since the problem disappears under strace...
> To track it down, perhaps you could try:
>  - "cmd /c start whatever.mdb" from a Cygwin prompt

Works.  So at least this gives me a better workaround than running strace,
if I can remember it.

>  - "cygstart whatever.mdb" from a cmd.exe command prompt

Works.

>  - save the simplest possible Access database, and see if cygstart can
> open that

Doesn't work.

>  - make sure whatever.mdb is on a local disk, in the current directory,
> and has a simple file name

'empty.mdb' is in 'C:\'.  Running 'cygstart empty.mdb' from /cygdrive/c doesn't
work.

For all cases, "works" means that the mdb file comes up properly in Access 97,
whereas "doesn't work" means the error message mentioned in my original
email on the subject(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-09/msg00923.html).

For another data point, cygstart works fine on my Windows 98 SE computer,
running a recent snapshot(forget which one, sorry), but it has Access 2000.

--
--Alfvaen (Web page: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/ )
Current Album--Clannad:Dulaman