Re: 1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

Igor Kalders wrote:

> I thought the non-cygwin sshd apps were just making use of cygwin in a
> custom way, without the need of installing cygwin itself. At least, when
> they get installed, you end up with some command-line tools, among which a
> cygwin dll. That made me assume these apps are just a partial cygwin with
> some handy auto-configuration. But your remark makes me think I see that
> wrong.

You are on extremely shakey ground with this.  Having more than one copy
of cygwin1.dll on your system is a VERY bad idea unless you know exactly
what you're doing.  I strongly recommend that you stick to official
Cygwin packages.  If you must use something packaged by a third party,
then delete any cygwin1.dll that it installs and make sure that the one
in \cygwin\bin is in the path.

> Still, mustn't I be able to launch a shell with the cygwin.bat that comes
> with a fresh cygwin install? And subsequently be able to call any command
> (like ls, man, ...). That's what I'm able to do on my XP box anyway.

Yes, you should be able to do that.  But your cygcheck seems to indicate
that your installation is seriously broken.  For one thing, the bash,
ls, etc. binaries that are being found in your path are not the Cygwin
ones but whatever junk is under \Program Files\copssh.  And you have an
empty mount table!  And your PATH is set to an invalid value (Path =
`Path=C:\Progr...).  And you apparently have no package database.

I have no idea what this copssh thing is, but it's not supported by this
list and it's obvious that it doesn't coexist peacefully with Cygwin at
all.

Brian