Re: strange behavior of bash

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 06:52:08AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:

>According to faif cn on 9/21/2005 3:04 AM:
>>
>> What I deleted is "borland c" bin directory to avoid cygwin confusing
>> two "make" tools. and maybe some other PATH variables which I believe
>> set by some outdated software. It left as
>
>Your cygcheck was hard to read, as it was not a plain-text attachment
>(hmm, maybe we could update the problem-reporting instructions to tell
>people to create cygcheck.txt instead of cygcheck.out, since there are
>mailers out there that wrongly assume every file with an unknown extension
>should be transferred with a mime type of application/octet-stream).

?  I didn't have any problems reading the attachment.

>> "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\matlab6p5\bin\win32;C:\PROGRA~1\ULTRAE~1;%HTC_PIC%\BIN;;C:\Program
>> Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin\"
>
>At any rate, in your cygcheck, you have the environment variable Path, not
>PATH (in Windows, envvars are case insensitive, but not in Unix), so that
>can cause problems.

This shouldn't be a problem.  Cygwin uppercases everything that it finds
in the environment when a program is run directly from windows.
Cygcheck is not a cygwin program so you wouldn't see this behavior in
its output.  It looks like cygcheck was just run directly from a cmd
prompt.

>Also, you have an unexpanded variable in your path, %HTC_PIC%.
>Furthermore, cygcheck couldn't even find make, with your path settings,
>so I don't see how you were complaining about 2 competing versions of
>make.  But it very well could be that you did something weird when
>trying to cleanup the Borland flavors of unix tools.

It couldn't find make but it did find other standard cygwin programs so
the PATH should be ok at least in that regard.

cgf