Re: Installation problem

Pinaki Mukherjee wrote:
I'm trying to install cygwin and it's not happening
properly. From cygwin website, I downloaded the
setup.exe file and then ran it. I chose the first
option "Install from Internet". The files are getting
downloaded, and then it tries to install the program.
When the installation is 99% complete, it's getting
stuck there with no progress. I waited for a long
time, but nothing happened. So I had to cancel the
process, and on doing so I got a message "Installation
complete". There was no shortcut created on desktop or
start menu, although I found directories created under
C:\cygwin and also the registry entries for cygwin. On trying to reinstall it (after uninstalling by
deleting reg entries and C:\cygwin), I encountered the
same problem (again at 99%). This time I noted down
the message in the progress window.
"no package...
/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh"
I could locate this particular file (4 KB) in my
computer.
Can anybody please help. I'm using Windows XP Pro
Version 2000 SP2, and an Intel Xeon processor.

How long did you wait? The message that you mention indicates that the TeX post-install script was running. That particular script has to create some fairly large files, and it takes at least a couple of minutes to run on my computer.

Do things work correctly if you don't install the TeX packages? (You can then try going back and installing them later -- you don't have to install everything in the first go.)

- Brooks