Re: tcsh can't find executables in Path with "wrong" case

On Sep 14 02:39, Eric Blake wrote:
> > It's clearly something to do with the path hashing, as unhashing fixes
> > this problem (typing "unhash" at the command prompt).  And "bash"
> > doesn't seem to have this problem (I guess it doesn't hash things).
>
> Just to avoid the spread of misinformation, bash also does hashing,
> but it doesn't try to do case insensitive hashing.  tcsh really is
> doing something different under the hood than bash.

Just to avoid the spread of misinformation, tcsh also doesn't use
case insensitive hashing.  It used to convert the hash table to
all lower case, see
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2005-06/msg00007.html

This has been reverted in 6.14.00-4 so that the case is now taken as is
again.  See the discussion taking place in

Cygwin tcsh does not share its hashing code with the Win32 version, it
uses the same code as all other OSes are using.  No other OS is using
case insensitive hashing, so doesn't Cygwin tcsh.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.