Re: sshd install problems | WinXP Pro system

>> Other than that, look at your event log and see if there is any further
>> information about the failed service startup.
>
> Nothing...

Nothing? On a working sshd service I get the start and stop events.

If it was working, I wouldn't be bothering the list with this! ;-)

[snip]
> OK - now I know what you're after. I re-downloaded setup.exe, ran it,
> and tried BOTH text, and binmode (i.e., tried it with text mode - then
> after deleting c:\cygwin, tried again with binmode).

Don't try text mode.

When in doubt try everything. Turns out it didn't matter.

> When I run ssh-host-config -d (i.e., in debug mode) as suggested, there
> was nothing obvious about why it exited - there were no error messages
> at all. It simply said I was finished.  Is there a log file I should
> look at (and post here) that might help suss out what its not working?

Post the last lines of that debug run, let's see were it ended and we can
probably deduce what went wrong.

OK - I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

> So, I'm wondering if at this point I should manually do what
> ssh-host-config is apparently refusing to do - if this is an option,
> could someone provide the basic steps?

Follow Chris advice, if ssh-host-config fails then post the last lines of the
debug output and lets start again from there.
--
René Berber