Re: Segfault in Cactid

Brian Dessent <brian <at> dessent.net> writes:

> Larry Adams wrote:
>
> > Brian, I am assuming that I can just download the latest cygwin of winsup
and
> > then configure/make.  What configure/make options should I be using to
> > incorporate debug symbols?
>
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.programming.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>
>
> The default compiler options include -g so you get symbols by default.
> Note that in recent CVS versions this means a seperate .dbg file.
>
> You can also add --enable-debugging to ./configure, but this enables a
> number of things in the code, not just compiler flags.  Grep for "#ifdef
> DEBUGGING" in the source for details.  Mostly this means more verbose
> strace ourput and some extra sanity checking.
>
> > The previous version of Cactid did not have this problem.  The one major
> > change in this version of Cactid is that I am using upto 100 process
threads
> > and each thread is allocating large amounts of memory using primarily
> > the "calloc" function.  I was wondering if maybe Cygwin is having
difficulty
> > making memory available to the calloc function after several threads have
> > chopped up the heap.
>
> Until you debug the crash it's all just speculation.  It could be a
> million things.  That said, even if the above was the case, Cygwin
> should not crap its pants and dereference a NULL pointer no matter how
> bad the heap is thrashed, so something is definitely wrong.
>
> Brian

Brian,

I have applied the September 9th SNAPSHOT.  I noted that on the 5th and 6th of
September the ChangeLog's sounded quite familiar.  I am currently running 2.5
hours without issue.  Jury's still out, but one of the bug fixes was
associated with attempting to close/free a NULL pointer. :)

Larry Adams
The Cacti Group