Logout Terminal Services RDC ends ssh invoked by W2k3 service

We run an application under Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition as a service using Firedaemon. That application invokes ssh connections using the command

c:\cygwin\bin\ssh -T -l fill_in_the_username

with the appropriate ssh keys setup well ahead of time.

When a user logs onto the W2k3 Server via Terminal Services Remote Desktop Connection [RDC], user can interact with the application. While looking at the service, user causes the application to start one or more ssh processes. These start to run and appear to work fine.

When user logs out of the RDC session, the application running as a service continues, but the ssh processes end.

We believe the ssh processes are supposed to continue to completion because they were started by the service; indeed when we experiment with PuTTY and plink in place of ssh, they behave as we expect and run to completion instead of ending immediately as user logs out of the session.

Interestingly, when we use any cygwin program like telnet, vi, they (all that we've tried) exhibit the same behavior as ssh.

Does the cygwin system offer up a parameter to select what the cygwin app conforms to: the user rules or the calling application rules? ssh is behaving as tho it is bound to the user session's rules rather than the rules of the service app which started the ssh process. In this case, while the user is looking, the service app is still running as a service.

The answer has so far not yet lept out at me from the list archives, faq and man/info/web online documentation. I'm continuing the search.

Regards,

-Mike