Re: file not working on executables?

On  7 Sep, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>  Oh well, why are you still using textmode?  We should drop this choice from
>  setup.exe entirely.

The logic went:

1) Under Windows, most of the programs we use are native Windows ones,
   so we choose DOS style line endings during Cygwin install.
2) I assume that Unix text processing programs like sed, awk, troff,
   etc. prefer to see LF rather than CR-LF.

I've just now re-read
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html.  (I can't begin
to imagine how much pain this CR/LF issue must cause you guys!)

Did you give the advice above because basically all the Cygwin programs
that treat lines as records, now open the file in text mode; and all
other Cygwin programs open files in binary mode?  (Including "file.exe",
now, thank you!)

The URL above may need an update, then?  (BTW, there's a reference in
the URL to "points a-e" which should be "points 1-5" to agree with the
rest of the text).

>  file doesn't cope with textmode right now.  I'll fix it to use always binmode.

Thanks very much for that, Corinna.

Regards,

luke