Re: sftp "connection closed"

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > At 12:33 PM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
> > >When "ssh host" works but "sftp host" doesn't, where should I look?
> > >
> > >I appreciate your help.
> >
> > I guess you could try starting the server with debugging turned on and
> > see what you get from the logs there.  Results from that are usually
> > more instructive.
>
> It started working again after I changed /etc/passwd. When I recreated
> the file by doing mkpasswd -l, I also hand-editted something. That is
> the last part of the line, the login shell. Originally it was bash, and
> I changed it to tcsh. Being a tcsh fan all my life, I've always hated
> when I had to type "tcsh" right after logging in on a ssh session
> because the login shell is bash. When I did mkpasswd, I thought it was a
> perfect time to change my login shell to tcsh. And I was happy with the
> result: tcsh running as a login shell.
>
> With tcsh as a login shell, however, sftp didn't work.
> With bash, it is working now. So I take it.

This looks like a bug in sftp -- it should work regardless of what shell
you have as your default.  I'm guessing some environment variables
(probably PATH) aren't set up correctly if tcsh is used as the shell.
Try adding PATH settings, similar to those in /etc/profile, to
/etc/csh.cshrc, and see if it fixes your problem.  If it does, I'd submit
these changes as a patch to the "base-files" package.

Since, IIRC, the Cygwin openssh maintainer uses tcsh, I can only assume
she doesn't often use sftp... :-D

HTH,
	Igor
--