RE: Administrator vs Administrators

> >  I think you have an extra s in the user name :-) (I have an
> > Administrator user,  but no Administrators user).
>
> Can someone correct my understanding if I've got this wrong?
> I think "Administrator" means the administrator account on
> the local machine, "Administrators" means the administrative
> account for the machine in the domain (workgroup).

No, that is not correct in various ways.

Adminstrator is a user account on each local machine AND
also a different account on each domain.

Administrators is a group in each such place.

Both the user and group are built-into NT class machines
and to NT-class domains.  (And they are not ever the
"same" user or group.)

Expect admin users to be a (direct or indirect) member
of Administrators in the context (machine or domain)
where that user has such privileges.

Permissions can be granted (or denied) through either,
since both groups and users are "security principals."

[Also note that in Windows 'permissions' do NOT equal
'rights' although it likely doesn't matter in your
situation.  Permission are assigned to objects (files,
shares, printers, registry keys, etc.) to allow access
to THAT object -- while rights are given to users or
groups (Security Principals really) to allow some
action to be taken that it unrelated to a particular
object (e.g., change the time, logon locally, run as
batch, etc.]

--
Herb Martin, MCT, MCSD, MCSE, MVP
HerbM@LearnQuick.Com http://LearnQuick.Com