Odd transient error about __impure_ptr

On a freshly (re?)installed copy of Cygwin from September 2004, a weird
thing happened that I thought I'd mention.  We use Michael Wardle's
excellent shell.c program that queries the password file to find the
user's default shell, to start that (instead of running bash --login),
run from inside a .bat file with a shortcut on the desktop.

I *think* I may have compiled this with a later version of Cygwin.
Anyway, when we recently dusted off and installed the Sept '04 Cygwin,
trying to run shell.exe lead to a failure, with the message that
cygwin1.dll did not provide __impure_ptr.

So I recompiled it from the freshly-installed stable release.
It failed the same way.  Then I ran it from inside a Cygwin shell
(inside rxvt), and it worked!  I then changed the .bat file for the
shortcut back the way it had been, and it also worked!

Does that make sense to anyone?  It's no big deal, just something weird
that I thought someone more knowledgeable than I might understand.

luke