Re: Segfault in Cactid

Larry Adams wrote:

> Brian, I am assuming that I can just download the latest cygwin of winsup and
> then configure/make.  What configure/make options should I be using to
> incorporate debug symbols?

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.programming.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>

The default compiler options include -g so you get symbols by default.
Note that in recent CVS versions this means a seperate .dbg file.

You can also add --enable-debugging to ./configure, but this enables a
number of things in the code, not just compiler flags.  Grep for "#ifdef
DEBUGGING" in the source for details.  Mostly this means more verbose
strace ourput and some extra sanity checking.

> The previous version of Cactid did not have this problem.  The one major
> change in this version of Cactid is that I am using upto 100 process threads
> and each thread is allocating large amounts of memory using primarily
> the "calloc" function.  I was wondering if maybe Cygwin is having difficulty
> making memory available to the calloc function after several threads have
> chopped up the heap.

Until you debug the crash it's all just speculation.  It could be a
million things.  That said, even if the above was the case, Cygwin
should not crap its pants and dereference a NULL pointer no matter how
bad the heap is thrashed, so something is definitely wrong.

Brian