Re: Help me to get xinetd/inetd working.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

> cygrunsrv --install  worked but --start did not work.  I get connection
> refused messages.

You need to look in the windows event log for messages to find out why
it's not starting.

> I noticed that I did not do the CYGWIN=server stuff.
> I tried removing the service but that did not work with error messages.
> I have rebooted my windows box and I could remove and reinstall with
> CYGWIN=server and start the service also. However now I get the
> following doing telnet

Setting CYGWIN=server only applies to programs that use cygserver.  It's
irrelevent for xinetd.

> telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory.
> Connection closed by foreign host

That would be indicative of user-mode mounts but you have system mounts,
so that is not the issue.

> How do I fix the /usr/bin/login problem in telnetd.?
> How do I make cygwin authenticate domain names? (I read the login.README
> and checked the /etc/passwd file. They seem to be ok)
> Is there an environment settting that I am missing?

In your cygcheck output it lists your group as "mkgroup-l-d" which
indicates that you need to run "mkgroup -l -d" to generate the
/etc/group file.  If you're part of a domain you will also need -d when
running mkpasswd.

> One thing I noticed is my /etc/passwd file contains
> "unused_by_nt/2000/xp" in the passwd field. Should I neet edit and make
> it empty as given in login.README? Just to reiterate

No, that field is not used, its contents do not matter.  The passwd and
group files created by mkpasswd -l -d and mkgroup -l -d should work
without any editing.

> cygserver installed as service using cygserver-config script. (what is
> this used for? do I have to cygrunsrv --start cygserver?  if so when?)
> xinetd installed by cygrunsrv --install xinetd -p /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe
> -e "CYGWIN=server,ntsec"
> xinetd started by cygrunsrv --start xinetd

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html

Cygserver is not directly related to xinetd/ftpd/telnetd in any way, you
do not need to install it or have it running, although it will not hurt
anything.

"ntsec" is the default, so adding it to $CYGWIN is not necessary.

BTW, using telnet in the modern day is a really bad thing to do.  Unless
you are only logging in locally and never from the network, you are
exposing a giant security hole with the fact that passwords are sent in
plaintext.  Ssh does everything that telnet does.  And it does much more
(e.g. passwordless public key logins, port forwarding, X11 forwarding)
and securely.  On top of all that, the Cygwin sshd package is a lot more
thoroughly tested and refined compared to 'login' since it's what most
people use.

Brian