Re: Help me to get xinetd/inetd working.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

Thank you for raising the important point of services. I am not much of
an expert in windows and thus did not even know about "services" package
or its need. I also do not know much about SYSTEM/ntsec and how win xp
works. Thus I expected setup.exe to  install services or anything else
needed by deafult when I choose inetd/xinetd. Thus I did not know that I
need to run the daemons any different.

Setup does not install services because they can often contain configuration decisions that the user needs to make. Most packages that are meant to be run as a service come with some kind of install script that you can run to take care of the details. In the case of xinetd though, its config script (/usr/bin/xinetd-config) does not install a service. I'm not sure why that is the case, but it seems that the packager expects you to run it from the sysvinit manager instead.

Regardless, it's simple to install with cygrunsrv which is the Cygwin
tool for dealing with services.

cygrunsrv --install xinetd --path /usr/sbin/xinetd --disp "Cygwin xinetd
daemon"
cygrunsrv --start xinetd

Note that if you've previously run xinetd as a normal user, the
permissions on the logfile (default /var/log/servicelog) will be
incorrect and the service won't start.  If this is the case you'll need
to either delete the file or set the permissions correctly.

My fault in not reading /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/login.README is due to the
way I looked for docs. In Linux the docs are placed under
/usr/share/doc/<command_name>. Thus I looked for /usr/share/doc/login...
I should have done a find. I will be more careful next time.

In the Cygwin packaging scheme, /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/*package* contains Cygwin-specific package information, and /usr/share/doc/*package* contains the upstream documentation for the package. Some older packages still use /usr/doc instead of /usr/share/doc, so there can be a number of places to look. A shortcut is just to run "cygcheck -l package" which will show you all of the files associcated with the package.

Brian

cygrunsrv --install worked but --start did not work. I get connection refused messages. I noticed that I did not do the CYGWIN=server stuff.
I tried removing the service but that did not work with error messages. I have rebooted my windows box and I could remove and reinstall with CYGWIN=server and start the service also. However now I get the following doing telnet

jolly03 [rramesh] 397 > telnet 128.247.109.58
Trying 128.247.109.58...
Connected to lta0199859b-udp0000010727722uds.sc.ti.com (128.247.109.58).
Escape character is '^]'.

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.18(0.132/4/2) (LTA0199859B) (tty2)

telnetd: /usr/bin/login: No such file or directory.
Connection closed by foreign host

But definitely /usr/bin/login is there. May be somehow the sense of "/" has changed between normal cygwin.bat startup and xinetd startup.
Here is mount from the normal login.

C:\userdata\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\userdata\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\userdata\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
t: on /cygdrive/t type system (binmode,noumount)
u: on /cygdrive/u type system (binmode,noumount)

With ftp I have a better luck. Still I can't get it to accept my passwd.

jolly03 [rramesh] 399 > ftp 128.247.109.58
Connected to 128.247.109.58.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 LTA0199859B FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
500 'AUTH GSSAPI': command not understood.
500 'AUTH KERBEROS_V4': command not understood.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (128.247.109.58:rramesh): a0199859
331 Password required for a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> user a0199859
331 Password required for a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp> user ENT\\a0199859
331 Password required for ENT\a0199859.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

How do I fix the /usr/bin/login problem in telnetd.?
How do I make cygwin authenticate domain names? (I read the login.README and checked the /etc/passwd file. They seem to be ok)
Is there an environment settting that I am missing?

One thing I noticed is my /etc/passwd file contains "unused_by_nt/2000/xp" in the passwd field. Should I neet edit and make it empty as given in login.README? Just to reiterate

cygserver installed as service using cygserver-config script. (what is this used for? do I have to cygrunsrv --start cygserver? if so when?)
xinetd installed by cygrunsrv --install xinetd -p /usr/sbin/xinetd.exe -e "CYGWIN=server,ntsec"
xinetd started by cygrunsrv --start xinetd

Ramesh