Re: 1.5.18: Problem launching URLs from Pine

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Antony Baxter on 8/31/2005 2:02 AM:
> > % echo $SHELL
> >
> > returns /bin/bash, but stdlib's getenv("SHELL")
> > returns null. Pine uses
> > getenv("SHELL") to figure out how to execute external
> > apps.
> >
> > Explicitly setting SHELL to /bin/bash allows Pine to
> > work.
>
> Sounds like a bug should be reported upstream to Pine to use /bin/sh
> when SHELL is undefined!

I haven't had a chance to debug this properly, but from the first glance
at the code, it's actually weirder than that.  The "U" in the debug output
means that pine tries to use the user's preferred shell.  If SHELL is
undefined, pine tries to use /bin/csh (yes, "csh" -- don't ask me why).
In system mode, it uses /bin/sh, like all normal apps.

Anthony, do you have the tcsh package installed?  If not, that may be your
problem.  Just for kicks, if you don't have a /bin/csh, try "ln /bin/sh
/bin/csh" (yes, I know it won't work with csh syntax), and see if that
makes pine work for you.

Another thing to try is to export SHELL from bash.  Just say "export
SHELL" with the current value (i.e., /bin/bash).

As for fixing this, there are two options -- one is to send a patch
upstream (who uses /bin/csh nowadays anyway?), and another is to make
"pine" depend on "tcsh".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/