Re: Emacs from cygwin in X mode with no X running

Andy Moreton <andy.moreton@artimi.com> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:46:38 GMT, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Andy Moreton <andy.moreton@artimi.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:39:39 GMT, Harry Putnam wrote:
> [snipped]
>>>
>>> You may find it easier to teach NTemacs about cygwin paths:
>>>
>>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el
>>
>> What is supposed to happen with this?  Once loaded is it supposed to
>> make emacs know about /cygdrive?  Doesn't seem to have much of an
>> effect here.
>>
>> M-x load-file ./cygwin-mount.el
>> C-x d /usr/bin
>>
>> Doesn't work
>>
>> C-x d /cygdrive/c
>>
>> Doesn't work
>>
>> It does seem to have tought emacs thate C:/ = / but in cygwineze that
>> isn't what is used.  There you have C:/Cygwin = /
>>
>> So that doesn't help much with cygdrive.  Still /usr/bin is
>> unknown for example
>
> Try a little reading - its all documented in the file.
> Either use the "Cygwin Mount" group in Customize, or add the following:

> (require 'cygwin-mount)
> (cygwin-mount-activate)

I do know how to load it .. that wasn't what asked about.

I'm sorry I must seem like a lamo here and appear to be trying your
patience, but I had read most of the documentation in cygwin-mount.el,
particularly the opening sort of overview which says it will make
emacs understand cygdrive.

Here it does not.  Below is an exerpt from emacs *Messages* buffer:
You may note that after loading cygwin-mount.el.  Emacs does not know
where /cygdrive/c is.
I typed in C-x d /cygdrive/c  But emacs sees c:/cygdrive/c
I type in C-x d /usr/bin.  But emacs sees C:/usr/bin.

So it has learned neither cygwins cygdrive or cygwins idea of /.

All that seems to have transpired is that emacs now sees / and C:/.
This is not what cygwin does.

[...]
Reading directory c:/cygdrive/c...
dired-readin-insert: Directory c:/cygdrive/c inaccessible or nonexistent