Re: Unable to read/write to a tape with tar

On Aug 22 07:50, cyril bonnard wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I try to read and write data to a tape using tar under CIGWIN with:
>
> -a SUN MODEL 411 tape reader hosted in my PC through a SCSI card
> -Win 2000
> -latest Cygwin version
>
> when i try to get info about the tape i get:
>
> $ mt -f /dev/st0 status
> mt: /dev/st0: Invalid request code

The Sun 411 is a repacked Archive DDS1 drive, which incidentally is the
one type of drive which I had way back when writing the original tape
support code.  Today's tape code in Cygwin still works nicely with standard
SCSI tape drives, as long as the Windows driver is the right one for the
drive type.  Just for clarification, the tape code in Cygwin doesn't use
any low level access, just plain high level Win32 tape access functions.
Are you using the "DAT 4mm" driver or whatever the name is?

The bottom line is, I can't tell what's going on with your tape drive.
You could run the above command under strace and send the output as a
bzip2'ed attachement to this list.  Maybe it helps to find the cause of
your problem.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.