Unable to read/write to a tape with tar

Hello everybody,

I try to read and write data to a tape using tar under CIGWIN with:

-a SUN MODEL 411 tape reader hosted in my PC through a SCSI card
-Win 2000
-latest Cygwin version

when i try to get info about the tape i get:

$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: Invalid request code

when i try to write to the tape i get:

$ tar -cvf /dev/st0 d:/importPy
d:/importPy/
d:/importPy/a.py
d:/importPy/a.pyc
d:/importPy/a.py~
d:/importPy/b.py
d:/importPy/b.py~

tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes

i browsed the web and the cygwin mailing list archives without finding the same pb...
i tried 2 other tools (port of tar under windows) and i get roughly the same errors!
i tried differents tapes without any success
But with he evalutation version of WinTar SCSI it works fine....
if someone have any idea for solve these errors , it would be of great help!

Notice: rewinding and erasing work