Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?

Is there a UNIX socket test client program
(a la NetCat)?

I need to test a variety of UNIX (not IP/INET)
socket daemons for both syntax and "are you
running".

Is there a program that can read-write to an
arbitrary Unix-type socket in a manner similar
to NetCat or Telnet?

My simple attempts to adapt the "Perl Cookbook"
Unix socket program didn't work and no one on
the comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup has been able
to offer a suggestion.

Perl code is nice but a compiled program is fine
too.

I am running SpamAssassin, and a variet of other
programs listening on Unix sockets and it would
help a great deal if I could interactively test
such sockets.

--
Herb Martin