Re: Bug Report: python os.popen seems to have recently been broken

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
WJFFM:

Sorry, I was probably being to terse in what I included. To confirm, on the newly updated machine, here's what I get:

  Python 2.4.1 (#1, May 27 2005, 18:02:40)
  [GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin
  >>> import os
  >>> fout = os.popen("echo hello")
  >>> print fout.read()

  >>> print fout.close()
  32512

And on the machine I haven't updated recently, I get the expected:

  Python 2.4 (#1, Dec  4 2004, 20:10:33)
  [GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin
  >>> import os
  >>> fout = os.popen("echo hello")
  >>> print fout.read()
  hello

  >>> print fout.close()
  None

I reckon you probably got bitten by the recent sh/ash/bash transition
problems. You could post your cygcheck output as described at
http://cygwin.com/problems.html if you want us to take a looksee, or you
could just try re-runiong setup.exe and making sure you're up-to-date with the latest shell packages.

The first thing I tried was running setup.exe. It didn't find any packages in need of being updated :(

The fact that you have the same version of python and it does work for you makes me think it must be related to my setup. I've included a copy of the output of cygcheck in case there's anything obvious in there

Thanks
Nick