Bug Report: python os.popen seems to have recently been broken

Hi All

I think the os.popen function in python has recently been broken.

You can see this with the following python code:
	import os
	fout = os.popen("echo hello")
	print fout.read()

On a machine I haven't updated for a little while, I get the expected result of "hello". This machine is running:
Python 2.4 (#1, Dec 4 2004, 20:10:33)
[GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin

On another machine that I updated last week, I get a blank string returned, instead of "hello" as expected. It runs:
Python 2.4.1 (#1, May 27 2005, 18:02:40)
[GCC 3.3.3 (cygwin special)] on cygwin

I'm not sure if this is related, but if I call "fout.close()" on the 1st machine, then nothing is returned (as expected). However, if I execute it on the 2nd (updated) machine, then I get an integer returned, 32512.

Nick