Re: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

---------------------------
I'm explaining the Cygwin installation process in detail because it's a bit confusing. The process may have changed by the time you read this, but if it has, it will probably have been made easier.
---------------------------

I would prefer that you would not use the word "confusing" since it is a
charged word which really only indicates the state of the person doing
the writing.

True -- if it's confusing only to me, that's of little interest to the reader. Saying "it can be a bit confusing" would be more relevant (and also true, I'm afraid).

Predisposing first-time users into thinking that
installation is "confusing" is not, IMO, a really good idea.

I'm sympathetic, and open to suggestions.

I'd prefer
something like "can be a little complicated depending on what you're trying
to install".

I think I can live with this as long as the sentence ends after the word "complicated." To me, the package selection process is counter-intuitive regardless of how much or how little I'm trying to install.

I'm certainly not trying to denigrate Cygwin; I'm trying to solve a practical problem: how to get readers to install Cygwin, without giving up in the middle, so they can get to the next step (which happens to be running g++ and make). I also have to say something about why I'm going into such detail, rather than just saying "run the installation utility."

As long as I have some plausible way to introduce the detailed installation instructions, without bending the truth too much, I'm happy.

cgf

Best Regards, Jonathan