Re: more in insert and copy from clipboard

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

> > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, J. David Boyd wrote:
> >
> >> Is there some setting that tells Cygwin to use/not use the windows
> >> clipboard.
> >[snip]
> >> For the longest time, I have been merryly cutting and pasting between
> >> firefox, notepad, a bash shell, emacs, etc, all using ctrl-insert and
> >> shft-insert.
> >>
> >> Sometime in the recent past, this no longer works.  I can cut and
> >> paste between all of my cygwin programs no problem, but there is no
> >> communication with the windows side of things.
> >[snip]
>
> There is no 'Properties' item.  I'm running in Cygwin X-windows, and
> doing everything under X.  My bash is running in an xterm, started with
> this command line (without the line break, of course):
>
> xterm -sl 5000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -cr red -fg black -bg white -e /usr/local/bin/bash -l &

Ah, so you're using an xterm.  This makes the question off-topic for this
list.  I've redirected my reply to the right list, and set the Reply-To:
accordingly.  Please remove <cygwin at cygwin dot com> from further
discussion of this, unless it veers back to something relevant to Cygwin
at large, and not just Cygwin/X.

> My best example would be to wget something from a URL in a file.
>
> Last week (two, three weeks ago?) I would have used the mouse to
> highlight the text in firefox (notepad, openoffice.org), then pressed
> Ctl-Ins to copy it into the clipboard. (Or clicked on copy in the menus,
> it worked either way.) Then I would have moved into my xterm, and type
> 'wget ' and then pressed shift-ins, to paste from the clipboard.  I hit
> enter, and wget worked perfect.
>
> Now, I do it all the same, but the shift-ins pastes whatever I last
> ctl-ins from a cygwin-X window.
>
> I don't recall changing any settings anywhere, but something might have
> changed in some internal Cygwin settings file, somewhere...

This has nothing to do with Cygwin settings -- it's an internal setting of
the X server.  My guess would be that either the clipboard thread isn't
starting properly, or you need to run xwinclip instead of using the
-clipboard parameter.  Looking at (and posting) /tmp/XWin.log would help.

The X clipboard settings are generally confusing -- they have at least 4
clipboards, only one of which corresponds to the system clipboard.  As far
as I know, the recent X servers are pretty good at doing the copy/paste
with the system clipboard, but there's always the possibility of
misconfiguration or some other factor that affects this.  Perhaps the
people on the Cygwin/X list will have more helpful comments.

> > If this doesn't help, please describe exactly what you're trying to
> > do, what worked before, and what doesn't work now.  Getting some
> > information about your system as requested in
> > <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would also help.
>
> Okay, here is the output from my cygcheck -s -r -v output:
> (sorry, but it goes on for quite a while...)
> [snip]

That's why we prefer it attached to the message, rather than included
inline.  At first glance[*], nothing looks wrong.
HTH,
	Igor
[*] For the Cygwin/X folks: rather than waste bandwidth, the original post
on cygwin@ was <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-08/msg00204.html>.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu