From: Michael Rilling <rilling@gmail.com>
Date: Aug 5, 2005 11:25 AM
Subject: Outbound telnet/ftp from cygwin not working
To: cygwin@cygwin.com

I've googled and can't find answers to my issue.  Several people have
mentioned the same issue, but no replies.  Hope you can help.

I've installed the latest cygwin base on my XP SP2 machine.
I've also installed inetutils along with the X stuff.

I'm trying to do a simple telnet from within cygwin.
I run the cygwin.bat file and type telnet (external-host) and always get
telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service

Yet when I run the windows telnet client to the same/any host, it works fine.

I have similar issues with FTP.

I'm wondering if you can help me, or point me to a web site with
helpful descriptions.

regards,
mike