Command line edit of binary file

I want to write a script to do a minor edit of a binary file. I don't use sed, but as best I can say, what I need would be the equivalent of:

sed 's/F:\\/C:\\/g' pugs.exe > pugsfixed.exe

But sed (in my unfamiliar hands) seems to mung the binary (beyond what I have asked for). I assume this is because it is expecting a text file.

I could write a Perl script to do this. But this task screams "Prior Art!" so this seems like a good opportunity to add another unixy tool to my personal toolkit.

Is there a tool available under cygwin to do a command line edit of a binary file? (hexedit works fine for an interactive solution but I want to automate this.)

TIA
David