0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless

hi

I'm running xp pro on an ibm t41 after upgrading from w2k where cygwin
worked fine. I installed cygwin on the new OS, but without downloading
the setup prog to harddisk (i was in a hurry), then suddenly I realised
I needed more packages. I'll admit to running a command or two and not
seeing anything, but quickly I decided to de-install and then download
the set up file properly, pretty anal I know ...

However on the installation the second time around I start getting this
error:
bash-3.00 # ls
17797832 [main] bash 3468 fork_copy: linked dll/bss pass 0 failed,
0x675000..0x6756A0, done 0, windows pid 2708, Win 32 error 487
bash: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

This happens to slmost all commands, where the error is the same except
for the first 8 digit number and the windows pid - those two always
vary, *even* when it's the same command I type.

Reading the archive I tried out a few things:

- rebaseall, I have it installed but also gives this error
- deleted the program and directory and appropriate registry keys as per
some posts I read. Then reinstalled but same behaviour ensued.

Now I said almost everything gives an error rending cygwin useless but
one or two things *do* work:
- echo works, and will pipe to a file, but using cat then does not work
- pwd works flawlessly (coo!)
- cd works
Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?