Re: gcc: .rdata problem

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

Gerrit,

After all the updates to the toolchain and libtool, what is the current
status of the .rdata problem?  Does code still need to be edited as with
gcc-3.3?

I dunno about the .rdata issue, but you can't use /usr/bin/libtool with g++-3.4.4 because /usr/bin/libtool encodes explicit predep and postdep objects and paths specific to g++-3.3.3.

This does not affect libtool + gcc (C code). Nor does it affect the typical case where YourFavoriteProject builds a local libtool script during its configure step.

It only blows up if (a) you're compiling C++ code, and (b) you use libtool, but (c) you don't create your own version of the libtool script during configure.

At present, I've only seen this "in the wild" when building ncurses. But as it might impact somebody else, I figured I'd get it in the archives.

Quick fix: download the libtool1.5 src package using setup.exe, and rebuild it on your own machine using your current installed toolset.

Long term fix: I need to release libtool packages in sync with gcc releases. Look for a g++-3.4.4 compatible (but g++-3.3.3 INcompatible) libtool1.5 update soon.

--
Chuck