Re: Emacs 21.3.50 problem on XP

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Dharanyava wrote:

> Okay.  Setting CYGWIN=tty did not work as expected.  (Just FYI, I could
> not locate the README you referred to - none of the ones installed on my
> system) seem to contain a reference CYGWIN environment variable.

A very unfortunate placement of parentheses.  Took me a little while to
figure out that you actually *could* find all the READMEs.  FWIW, the
following command is useful to locate all the README files in a package:

cygcheck -l emacs | grep README

(substitute the name of the package for "emacs" to find READMEs in another
package).

Now, since I don't use emacs, I was absolutely sure that information as
important as this would be in the Cygwin-specific README (i.e.,
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs-21.3.50-2.README), but it wasn't.  In fact
that README is about 5 lines -- surprise, surprise.  This *was*, however,
mentioned in the emacs announcement message:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00007.html>.

> It allows emacs to catch the C-x C-c,

Then it works as expected -- that's what it's there for.

> but after exiting Emacs, my tty (bash shell) no longer displays anything
> I type.

Then this sounds like a bug in emacs (or in termcap/terminfo).  As a
temporary workaround, use "stty sane" after exiting emacs.

> I've included the output from cygcheck -svr below.
> - - - -
> [cygcheck -svr output snipped]

In the future, please *attach* the output of "cygcheck -svr", as requested
in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  BTW, your environment doesn't
*have* a CYGWIN variable, which leads me to suspect that you may have set
this value too late.  You have to set it before you start the shell for it
to really work properly.  Try adding CYGWIN=tty to your global
environment, and see if you still encounter the problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT